Aibo Models (6)
The ERS-220 was released by Sony in November 2001.
- 3.2.2Special Editions
Released shortly after the ERS-311 and ERS-312 on 11/8/2001, the ERS-220 aimed to embrace robotic and mechanical design. The ERS-220A model began preorder on July 1st in the US and EU.
The ERS-220 was designed by Japanese designer, artist, and producer Shoji Kawamori. Notably, he also created the anime series Macross and worked on mechanical design for Ghost in the Shell.
Unlike other AIBO models, the ERS-220 was not designed to appear at all organic but instead took a directly mecha-inspired approach.
The hardware of the ERS-220 is identical to the ERS-210 with the exclusion of four degrees of freedom (no moving "tail" module or articulated ears). A variety of LEDs were added that were not present on the ERS-210.
|Processor||64-bit RISC processor|
|Inputs||PC Card Type III
|Camera||100,000-pixel CMOS image sensor|
|Audio Input||Stereo microphone|
Infrared distance sensor
Pressure sensor (on the head), with switches on the chin, back, and paws
|Degrees of freedom||Head: 3 degrees of freedom
Retractable head light: 1 degree of freedom
Leg: 16 degrees of freedom per leg
(20 degrees of freedom in total)
|Power consumption||Approx 9 W (in normal mode)|
Along with ERS-210's, the ERS-220 was released as a Supercore AIBO. However, the ERS-220 was not utilized in RoboCup competition. Worth noting is the ERS-220's dependence on OPEN-R 1.1.3, which shipped out-of-the box with Supercore modules but not the initial releases of 2x0 cores.
The ERS-220 was also released as the Transformation Kit, or ERS-220E1 (referred to as ERS-220/TK frequently by the community.) The kit included the ERS-220's modular components (head, tail, legs) without a core as to offer a way for ERS-210 owners to update, if desired, to the newer AIBO.
The third generation of original AIBOs, the ERS-7 was the most advanced AIBO of its era.
Sony's Third-Generation AIBO Entertainment Robot Grows Up With Upgraded Software and New Hue
Sony Electronics - 10/06/2004
Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? Check out the latest upgrade to Sony's canine-like AIBO® Entertainment Robot (ERS-7M2/W and ERS-7M2/B).
Advanced technology, new software applications and an elegant pearl black color have been incorporated in the latest version of the robot, offering more personalized interaction, new tricks and even the ability to house sit. The stylish color variation provides a contrasting balance against the other pearlescent white AIBO robots in the product line.
"The latest AIBO Entertainment Robot is the perfect companion for design- savvy customers seeking a whimsical way to combine the convenience of advanced technology with entertainment applications," said Ken Orii, senior sales and marketing manager of Sony Electronics' e-Solutions Company LLC.
AIBO Entertainment Player and AIBO MIND 2 Software
With new AIBO Entertainment Player (AEP) functions AIBO ERS-7 model owners can control, program and navigate the robot wirelessly from the PC.
The robot's digital camera functions also get a boost with the addition of video recording capabilities, which can make AIBO an effective house-sitter, recording activities in the home while owners are at work or on vacation. The combination of AEP and AIBO MIND 2 (a software application on 32 MB Memory Stick® media) offers several customized recording modes -- continuous, time lapsed, motion activated and sound activated. In addition, the AIBO EYES function allows owners to receive e-mail directly from the AIBO robot with an attached photo.
AIBO robot can also playback your favorite digital music files (compatible with WAV, MP3 and WMA files) or CDs from its speakers while it dances to the beat. AIBO Scheduler is compatible with Microsoft® Outlook®, so it can remind you about important appointments.
The new software improves the AIBO robot's reaction time for better response to voice commands. The new robot also has advanced face tracking and faster, smoother movements that improve its detection ability to avoid obstacles at a greater distance or in a darker environment.
The new ERS-7M2/W (pearl white) and ERS-7M2/B (pearl black) models include AIBO Entertainment Player and AIBO MIND 2 software and will be available in mid-November through Sony Style stores and direct at www.sonystyle.com. The AIBO MIND 2 software upgrade will be available for about $100 (AIBO MIND 2 software may be used with all AIBO ERS-7 models), and the upgraded AIBO robot will be available for about $1,900.
For additional information about Sony products, call (888) 222-SONY, or visit Sony's web site at: www.aibo.com. Press releases and digital images are available for the media at Sony Electronics' news and information web site at: www.sony.com/news.
SOURCE: Sony Electronics Inc.
|Sony Launches Four-Legged Entertainment Robot
"AIBO" Creates a New Market for Robot-Based Entertainment
|Limited Edition for Sale Exclusively over the Internet|
(Tokyo, Japan) -- Sony Corporation today announced the launch of a four-legged entertainment robot called "AIBO" [ERS-110] and an "AIBO Performer Kit" [ERF-510] motion editor that makes it possible for users to create original movements for "AIBO," the first robot designed for home entertainment purposes. Sony aims to begin building an entirely new market for robot entertainment by making "AIBO" available to residents of Japan and the United States of America in limited quantities while maintaining close contact with the users. All sales will be handled exclusively over the Internet through the following home page.
|"AIBO" Entertainment Robot [ERS-110], Station, AC Adapter, Li-Ion Battery [ERA-110B] (set of 2), Sound Commander remote control unit, 8MB pre-recorded Memory Stick, colored ball, and other accessories.||June 1, 1999
|Early July||250,000 yen
|June 1, 1999
in the USA
for the USA
|"AIBO Performer Kit" Motion Editor [ERF-510], 8MB Memory Stick, Memory Stick PC Adapter Card||June 1, 1999
|Early July||50,000 yen
|- - - - -|
|June 1, 1999
in the USA
|- - - - -|
|"AIBO" Sales Homepage||http://www.aibo.com *this link is no longer active and a revised page does not exist.|
"AIBO" [ERS-110] is an autonomous robot that acts both in response to external stimuli and according to its own judgement. "AIBO" can express various emotions, grow through learning, and communicate with human beings to bring an entirely new form of entertainment into the home.
Not only is "AIBO" capable of four-legged locomotion by virtue of the 3 degrees-of-freedom in each of its legs, but it can also perform other complex movements using its mouth, tail, and head, which have 1, 2, and 3 degrees-of freedom, respectively. "AIBO" incorporates various sensors and autonomous programs that enable it to behave like a living creature, reacting to external stimuli and acting on its own judgement. "AIBO's" capacity for learning and growth is based on state-of-the-art artificial intelligence technology that shapes the robot's behavior and response as a result of repeated communication with the user and interaction with the external environment.
The "AIBO Performer Kit" [ERF-510] includes an easy-to-use motion editor tool that allows users to create original motions for "AIBO". A graphical user interface that makes it simple to create motion programs for "AIBO" on a personal computer.
Main Features of "AIBO" [ERS-110]
1. Autonomous Judgement and Response
"AIBO" incorporates emotions such as happiness and anger and instincts such as the need for companionship. It operates autonomously in response to external stimuli and its own temperament and express emotions as well. "AIBO" is equipped with adaptive learning and growth capabilities that allow each unit to develop a unique personality including behavior shaped by the praise and scolding of its owner. Moreover, "AIBO" features 'game' and 'performance' modes that allow the user to give instructions to the robot using a tone-based remote control unit called the "Sound Commander." Users can also create motion data using a PC-based motion editor tool, which is sold separately, for the performance mode.
2. Smooth Movement with 18 Degrees-of-Freedom
A total of 18 degrees-of-freedom (1 for mouth, 2 for tail, 3 for head, and 3 for each leg) allow "AIBO" to walk smoothly on four legs as well as perform other complex motions.
3. Memory Stick for Easy Replacement of Programs
A pre-recorded 8MB "Memory Stick" comes as an accessory to "AIBO". It is used to store the software modules that control "AIBO's" movements and data that is generated during the learning process. "Memory Stick" makes it easy for users to insert new software modules into "AIBO," including original motion programs created by the user using the motion editor (sold separately).
4. Modular Software Based on the OPEN-R Architecture
"AIBO" employs modular software based on the OPEN-R architecture to facilitate the quick and easy addition and/or replacement of individual software modules.
5. Advanced Sensors Provide Increased Autonomy
The use of sensors, microphones, and speakers that roughly correspond to the sensory organs of a living creature make it possible for "AIBO" to communicate and react to external stimuli with a high degree of autonomy.
Touch Sensor : For recognizing tactile stimulation like being pet or hit Color CCD Camera : For detecting the shapes and colors of objects when approaching or avoiding them Range Finder : For detecting the distance to objects LED Lamps : For expressing happiness (green) and anger (red) Mini Stereo Microphone : For detecting the direction of a sound source and hearing sound from the Sound Commander remote control Miniature Speaker : Allows "AIBO" to make sounds Acceleration Sensor : For use in maintaining balance and regaining balance when recovering from a fall Angular Velocity Sensor : For detecting rotary motion
6. Other Features
- - Powerful 64-bit RISC processor
- - Equipped with 16MB of Main Memory
- - Employs Sony's "Aperios" Real-time Operating System
- - Comes with two special Li-Ion Batteries
[ERS-110] Technical Specifications
|CPU||64-bit RISC Processor|
|Program Memory||8MB Memory Stick (Accessory)|
|Moving Parts||Mouth: 1 degree-of-freedom
Head: 3 degrees-of-freedom
Legs: 3 degrees-of-freedom (x 4)
Tail: 2 degrees-of-freedomspacesTotal: 18
|Video Input||180,000 pixel color CCD camera (x 1)||Head|
|Audio Input||Stereo microphone (one on each side)||Head|
|Audio Output||Speaker (x 1)||Head|
|Heat Detector||Heat Sensor (x 2)||Torso|
|Range Finder||Infra-red range finding sensor (x 1)||Head|
|Acceleration Detector||Spatial acceleration sensor (x 1)||Legs|
|Rotation Detector||Angular velocity sensor (x 1)||Legs|
|Contact Detectors||Touch sensor (x 1), Switch (x 4)||Head, Legs|
|Power Source||DC7.2V (Lithium Ion Battery [ERA-110B])|
|Energy Consumption||12.6W (autonomous mode)|
|Operating Time||Approx. 1.5 hours (using fully charged battery)|
|Dimensions (l x w x h)||Approx. 274 x 156 x 266mm (not including tail)|
|Weight||About 1.4kg (Body Only)
About 1.6kg (Including Memory Stick and Battery)
* "AIBO," the "AIBO" logo, "Memory Stick" and "OPEN-R" are trademarks of Sony Corporation.
* Pentium® is a registered trademark of Intel Corporation.
* Windows95® and Windows98® are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
Other product and company names herein may be trademarks of their respective owners.
The ERS-1100 is a rare version of the ERS-110 that was made exclusively for projects like RoboCup’s Four Legged League in 1999 and 2000.
In 2000, 12 different groups competed, for a total of at least 36 ERS-1100 robots existing.
It’s not known if many of these special pups are still around, but one is known to have spent some time at the AIBO Ranch in California!
If you look closely at the image you can see the rectangular panel in the middle of the ERS-1100′s back isn't fixe like it is in a 110 and is removable. There is also a covered plug on the back of 1100’s head. With these modifications, the RoboCup teams could connect Aibo to a computer to view data and get a better understanding of how Aibo interacts with and sees the world.
In a book published by one of the teams they go into detail about the challenges they faced due to the narrow field of vision and limited external sensor inputs and also the limited cpu compute performance to enable self driven free roaming commands.
Try to remember this was in the days that a self driving car was still in the realm of science fiction and there they were making consumer level robot companions play autonomous football. Quite an achievement really.
The blue battery next to this pup was made exclusively for the ERS-1100. Not much is known about it or what exactly makes it different from a normal first generation AIBO battery other than the labels and color being different, but these batteries are as hard to find secondhand as the robots that use them.
The ERS-2100 is a developer revision of the ERS-210 used in RoboCup competition.
The ERS-2100 predated the creation of the ERS-210, although the timeframe is unknown. The robots were confirmed to be used during the 2001 RoboCup 4 Legged League. Currently, to our knowledge there are no working ERS-2100 robots present in the community.
If anyone has one I would be willing to try to repair it even if it has broken parts as I can try to reproduce the broken items using our single item manufacturing processes. We also have full logic repair technologies to try to repair any logic board problems.
The ERS-2100 is almost entirely unique in it's construction- the modules that make up the model are incompatible with the ERS-210 components, predating their conception and production. The CPU handles 200 million MIPS in comparison to the ERS-210's 100 million. It housed 32MB of memory rather than 16.
Sony Announces Sale of 2nd Generation Autonomous Entertainment Robot "AIBO" [ERS-210]
- With Additional Advanced Features to Increase Interaction.
(Tokyo, Japan) - Sony Corporation today announced that following on from the sale of the first ever autonomous entertainment robot AIBO [ERS-110], they will introduce a 2nd Generation "AIBO" [ERS-210] that has a greater ability to express emotion for more intimate communication with people. Order taking will start from November 16 and there will be no restriction on the number of units produced or the time period for orders: all customers ordering "AIBO" [ERS-210] will be able to purchase a unit.
|Autonomous Entertainment Robot "AIBO"
Color: gold, silver, black
* choose from three color variations
* Autonomous application software sold separately
The new [ERS-210] has additional movement in both ears and an increased number of LED (face x 4, tail x 2) and touch sensors (head, chin, back) which means that it can show an abundant array of emotions such as "joy" and "anger". In order to increase interaction with people, the [ERS-110] series most distinctive feature, its autonomous robot technology (reacting to external stimulus and making its own judgements) that allows AIBO to learn and mature, has been enhanced. It will now include features frequently requested by AIBO owners such as a Name Recording Function (recognizes its own name), Voice Recognition (recognizes simple words) and Photo Taking.
The technologies that allow the [ERS-210] to communicate, such as the autonomous feature which gives AIBO the ability to learn and mature plus the voice recognition technologies etc. will be available on a special flash memory AIBO Memory Stick software application (Autonomous AIBO-ware) called "AIBO Life" [ERF-210AW01] (*sold separately). So that people can enjoy using AIBO in a variety of new ways an additional two application software (AIBO-ware), "Hello AIBO! Type A" [ERF-210AW02] demonstration software and "Party Mascot" [ERF-210AW03] game software (*both sold separately), are also being introduced. A new line-up of AIBO accessories such as a carrying case and software that enables owners to perform simple edits to AIBO's movements and tonal sounds on a home PC will also be offered to personalize the way owners can enjoy interacting with their AIBO.
Similar to previous AIBO product offerings orders will be accepted by the Internet and telephone, in addition orders will also be accepted for the first time at various retail outlets to allow people to actually experience the product first-hand and understand the charm of AIBO. The stores (department stores, Sony Plaza etc.) have agreed to set up special in-store "AIBO Shops" to display the product and give customers the chance to experience AIBO. Product delivery is planned to start from early December.
The AIBO [ERS-210] will also be available in the US (US $1,500 excluding tax) and Europe*(Euro 1,500 excluding VAT) with the start of order taking coinciding with Japan on November 16 and product delivery planned for early December.
This year on August 1, with the aim of developing a genuine entertainment robot business, the ER Business Division became a separate "Entertainment Robot Company" (ERC) within Sony Corporation. In the future Sony is not solely interested in testing the market and developing the technology for entertainment robots, but is committing itself to establishing and expanding the consumer market for entertainment robots.
|(*)||Sales of AIBO [ERS-210] are planned for- Austria, Greece, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, the UK, Belgium, Holland, Sweden, Norway.|
Main Features of "AIBO" [ERS-210]
- 1) 3 Different Color Variations
- The [ERS-210] is available in three color variations (silver, gold and black) so customers can choose the one that suits them best.
- 2) Autonomous Robot AIBO - actions based on own judgement
- When used with Memory Stick application (AIBO-ware) "AIBO Life" (*sold separately) [ERF-210AW01] AIBO acts as a fully autonomous robot and can make independent decisions about its own actions and behavior. AIBO grows up with abundant individuality by interacting with its environment and communicating with people by responding to its own instincts such as "the desire to play with people" and "the desire to look for the objects it loves".
- 3) Enhanced Features to Express Emotions
- When used in conjunction with "AIBO Life" (*sold separately) AIBO [ERS-210] owners can enjoy the following features to their full capacity:
- (1) Touch Sensors on the head, chin and back
- In addition to the sensor on the head, new touch sensors have been added to the back and under the chin for more intimate interaction with people.
- (2) 20 Degrees of Freedom
- A greater variety of expressions due to an increase in the degrees of freedom of movement from 18 on the [ERS-110] and [ERS-111] (mouth x 1, head x 3, tail x 2, leg x3 per leg) to 20 degrees of freedom with new movement added to the ears on the AIBO [ERS-210].
- (3) LED on the Tail
- In addition to LED (light-emitting diodes) on the face, LED have been added to the tail. A total of 4 LED on the face (expressing emotions such as "joy" "anger") plus 2 on the tail (expressing emotions like "anxiety" "agitation") allows AIBO to express a greater variety of emotions.
- 4) Enhanced Communication Ability with New Advanced Features
- When used in conjunction with "AIBO Life" (*sold separately) AIBO [ERS-210] has the following features:
- (1) Personalized Name (name recording & recognition):
- Owners can record their own personal name for "AIBO" and it will respond to this name by actions and emitting a special electronic sound.
- (2) Word Recognition (voice recognition function):
- Depends on AIBO's level of development and maturity. The number of words and numbers AIBO can recognize will change as it grows up until it can recognize about 50 simple words. In response to the words it recognizes AIBO will perform a variety of actions and emit electronic sounds.
- (3) Response to Intonation of Speech (synthetic AIBO language):
- When spoken to, "AIBO" can imitate the intonation (musical scale) of the words it hears by using its own "AIBO language" (tonal electronic language).
- 5) Photo Taking Function
- If used in conjunction with "AIBO Life" and "AIBO Fun Pack" software applications (*both sold separately) AIBO will take a photograph of what it can see using a special color camera when it hears someone say Take a photo. Using "AIBO Fun Pack" software [ERF-PC01] photographs taken by AIBO can be seen on a home PC screen.
- 6) Wireless LAN Card
- By purchasing a separate IEEE802.11b "AIBO Wireless LAN Card" [ERA-201D1], inserting it into a PC card slot and using "AIBO Master Studio" software (*sold separately) the movements and sounds AIBO makes can be created on a home PC and sent wirelessly to control AIBO's movements.
- 7) Other Features
- * Open-R ver 1.1 architecture
- * Uses Sony's original real-time OS "Aperios"
- * The head and legs can be removed from the body and changed.
* Entertainment Robots "AIBO" [ERS-210] Main Features
|CPU||64 bit RISC Processor|
|Internal Memory||32 Mega-bite|
|External Memory/Program Storage||AIBO-ware Memory Stick (sold separately)|
|Moveable Parts||Mouth : 1 degree of freedom
Head : 3 degrees of freedom
Leg : 3 degrees of freedom x 4
Ear : 1 degrees of freedom x 2
Tail : 2 degrees of freedom
Total : 20 degrees of freedom
|Input/Output||PC Card slot : In/Out|
|Memory Stick Slot In/Out|
|AC IN Power Supply connector Input|
|Image Input||1/6 inch CMOS Image sensor|
|Audio Input||Stereo Microphone|
|Built-in Sensors||Temperature Sensor|
|Infrared Distance Sensor|
|Touch sensors (head) Switch( back, chin & back of legs)|
|Built in clock||Date & Time|
|Power Consumption||Approx. 9W (Standard operation in autonomous mode)|
|Operating Time||Approx. 1.5 (Standard operation in autonomous mode using fully charged ERA-201B1 battery)|
(width x height x length)
|152 x 281 x250 (not including the ears & tail)|
|Weighte||Approx. 1.5Kg (Including battery & memory stick)|
|Supplied Accessoriese||AC Adapter, Lithium Ion Battery Pack ERA-201B1 (x 1), AC Adapter, Manual, Pink Ball|
* Memory Stick Application (AIBO-ware) Sold Separately
- Autonomous AIBO-ware "AIBO Life" for [ERS-210]
[ERF-210AW01] (Price 9,000 yen excluding tax)
Allows AIBO to interact autonomously - learns and matures, remembers own name, voice recognition etc.
- Demonstration AIBO-ware "Hello AIBO! Type A" for [ERS-210]
[ERF-210AW02] (Price 8,000 yen excluding tax)
Enjoy AIBO as a fully developed and playful adult entertainment robot.
- Game AIBO-ware "Party Mascot" for [ERS-210]
[ERF-210AW03] (Priced 9,000 yen excluding tax)
Enjoy playing games with AIBO
* PC Application Soft Sold Separately
- "AIBO Fun Pack" (compatible with Windows 98/Me/2000 Professional)
[ERF-PC01] (Price 10,000 yen excluding tax) Includes CD-ROM and Manual
Software that allows owners to create a journal of the photographs taken by AIBO and enables AIBO to be programmed to celebrate birthdays etc. Also possible to check the level of maturity AIBO has reached.
- "AIBO Master Studio" (compatible with Windows 98/Me/2000 Professional)
[ERF-PC02] (Price 50,000 yen) Includes CD-ROM, Programming Memory Stick and Manual.
Edit simple movements and sounds for AIBO using a home PC and make original movements etc. When used in conjunction with the "AIBO Wireless LAN Card" it is possible to control AIBO movements by sending the programmed information wirelessly.
* Other Accessories
- Energy Station (Battery Charging Unit)
[ERA-210P1] (Price 17,000 yen excluding tax)
When AIBO is placed on the Energy Station the battery inside is recharged. The Energy Station also has an extra charging slot so extra batteries can be recharged while AIBO in use. A liquid crystal display informs owners on the status of the batteries and can be used to set the correct time on a clock inside AIBO and the volume level of the sounds AIBO makes.
- AC Adapter
[ERA-201P1] (Price 10,000 yen excluding tax)
- Lithium Ion Battery Pack
[ERA-201B1] (Price 9,000 yen excluding tax)
- AIBO Carrying Bag
[ERA-201C1] (Price 15,000 yen excluding tax)
3 color variations (pink, blue, black)
- AIBO Programming Memory Stick (8MB)
[ERA-MS008] (Price 3,400 yen excluding tax)
Necessary for transferring movements programmed for AIBO created by "AIBO Master Studio".
- AIBO Wireless LAN Card
[ERA-201D1 (Price 20,000 yen excluding tax)
IEEE802.11b standard AIBO Wireless LAN Card allows movements created by "AIBO Master Studio" to be sent wireless to AIBO [ERS-210].
* Order Taking & Sales Information
- Order Taking to begin from November 16, 2000 (Thurs.) from 10 am
- Products will be manufactured and sold to fill all orders
- There are no limits on the number of units and the order period
- Only people resident in Japan may order products in Japan
- "AIBO" Home Page http://www.aibo.com *this link is no longer active and a revised page does not exist.
- * Starts from November 16, 2000 (Thursday) from 10 am (24 hours).
- When ordering from mobile phone & PHS 03-5470-0666
- *From November 16, 2000 (Thursday)
- * Everyday (incl. Sat & Sun) from 10 am to 6 pm
- * Closed from Dec. 30 to Jan. 3
- [Retail Outlets - 'AIBO Shop']
- From November 16, 2000 some department stores and Sony Plaza etc. will create an 'AIBO shop' to display the product and accept orders.
* Planned Display of the Product
- Sony Building (Ginza, Tokyo) Beginning of November, 2000
- Sony Tower (Shinsaibashi, Osaka) Beginning of November, 2000
- PC EXPO (Tokyo Big Site, Tokyo) 17 - 21 October, 2000
- ROBODEX (Yokohama Pacifico, Kanagawa) 24 - 26 November, 2000
* Renewal of AIBO Home Page
See the latest information about the new AIBO [ERS-210] from 4pm today (JST) on the renewed AIBO Home Page http://www.aibo.com *this link is no longer active and a revised page does not exist.
* AIBO History
|* June 1998||Announcement of entertainment robot architecture [Open-R]|
|* June 1999||Sale of first ever home entertainment robot [ERS-110].
(3,000 units sold in Japan & 2,000 in the USA: Total 5,000)
|* Nov. 1999||Sale of Special Edition [ERS-111]
(Total 10,000 units sold in Japan, the US and Europe)
|* Feb. 2000||Sale of same [ERS-111]
(Total 30,000 units sold in Japan, the US and Europe)
* "AIBO" and the "AIBO logo", "Memory Stick", "OPEN-R" are registered Sony trademarks.
* Windows(R) 98/2000/Me are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the US and in other countries.
* Other product names are the registered trademarks of the relevant companies